Friday 4 November 2011

Evaluation for college magazine

Evaluation for college magazine
I have used the conventions of a magazine to produce my college magazine as my masthead is on the left top of my magazine and my skyline is above the masthead. I have also added subtitles and a kicker to my college magazine, however I haven’t followed the convention of the imagery being on the left third as the image I took wasn’t positioned the right way therefore I had to place my subtitles on the right third for my magazine to work, I realise I have done this and it doesn’t follow the conventions however I feel works well. The imagery does follow the task as it is medium close-up and my model is looking directly into the camera making her connect with the audience. The colours I chose have worked well and I have used the colour purple as it is a wyke colour, white for the masthead and skyline as it stands out and orange because it works well with the rest of the colour scheme, I feel the colours used work well and don’t seem out of place. I have also added a barcode, price and dates as this is also a useful convention of a magazine because the audience need to know this information about the magazine. For the kicker I have chosen yellow as the colour because it makes the story stand out and also interesting because it is a bigger font to the other subtitles. I have also used a screamer within a subtitle of ‘college students GO WILD!’ as the ‘go wild’ is in capitals and has an exclamation mark at the end suggesting it is an interesting story to read about. The font I used was Calibri italic as I feel this worked well with my design and also isn’t a boring font to look at.
My college magazine represents students and teachers as it is advertising the college therefore shows wyke is popular and also that wyke has a good reputation of students progressing onto university and therefore shows the good teaching at wyke, It also represents the students of Wyke because as I have used a student for my image and also the subtitles link to the student and the college. As the has a positive kicker it shows how students aren’t how they can be portrayed in the media industry as students are represented badly within the news or newspapers, however my college magazine shows that students aren’t all badly behaved which can be show in my kicker.
The audience for my magazine would be adults, students that attend and students looking to enrol at the college and staff as I feel the text used it suitable for all ages and also show the reputation of the college. Parents may be interested to find out about the college and the reputation of the college and if student progress to university, student will be interested because it is about their life college and fellow students, staff will be interested because it shows their teaching skills and how the students’ progress after college. I also feel the colours used are suitable for all students, parents and staff whether male and female because I have used neutral colours so isn’t for a specific gender.
I attracted the audience by the use of colour for my college magazine as the main colour is subtle however the subtitles and image are a little brighter therefore catches the eye of reader. The kicker is also an attraction because it is very bright and is the main story so people will want to know more about the student and the college. I also attracted the audience because my model looks straight into the camera which connects with the audience. Also the small image of the parties that can happen at wyke may also be an attraction because it shows students work however can have a good time which may attract a lot of students to wyke. The subtitle about the interview also gives an insight to student life and isn’t just word of mouth because you can read about different student opinions. However as the image is on the left third when stacked in a supermarket the audience will immediately see the subtitles not the image which isn’t very suitable for a magazine as I didn’t follow specific conventions when producing my magazine.
To create my magazine I used Photoshop, a digital camera, Prezi, and search engines as this helped me chose and design my ideas. Using these have helped me throughout my task and I have learnt more about Photoshop and how to use Prezi as it was a new website and a new software, however I found it very easy and helpful to use throughout my task. The good thing about using a digital camera is it is easy to download the picture onto the computer; you can look at the images you have taken and also look at the quality of the image taken. As I have used Photoshop before I found it easy, however I did learn a few more things to improve my college magazine and make it more interesting and also it was easy to use, I feel all these technologies helped me create a good magazine and also it was easy to use because the software used weren’t confusing or hard to find, making it easier to make my magazine and also making it quicker to produce my magazine as I wasn’t rushing to find different software’s to do a specific change to my college magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment